Friday, January 11, 2008

2007 in letters

Sometimes I wonder if I'm unable of original thought... It seems I'm getting a lot of blogging ideas from Emily. She is a more experience blogger, so I guess it's not surprising. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, isn't it?


Emily recently posted a list of all the books she read in 2007. Here's mine:

1. Odette Toulemonde et autres histoires, Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt
2. Shopaholic and Baby, Sophie Kinsella
3. The Memory Keeper's Daughter, Kim Edwards
4. A Respectable Trade, Philippa Gregory (borrowed from Nora)
5. Fruit of the Lemon, Andrea Levy
6. The Namesake, Jhumpa Lahiri
7. The Secret of the Pink Carnation, Lauren Willig
8. The Masque of the Black Tulip, Lauren Willig
9. The Deception of the Emerald Ring, Lauren Willig
10. Bloodletting and other miraculous cures, Vincent Lam
11. Joseph Balsamo, Alexandre Dumas
12. The Continuity Girl, Leah McLaren
13. Le collier de la reine, Alexandre Dumas
14. Practically Perfect, Katie Fforde
15. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, J.K. Rowling
16. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, J.K. Rowling
17. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, J.K. Rowling
18. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, J.K. Rowling
19. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, J.K. Rowling
20. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, J.K. Rowling
21. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, J.K. Rowling
22. Gucci Gucci Coo, Sue Margolis (borrowed from Nora)
23. Goodnight Nobody, Jennifer Weiner (borrowed from Nora)
24. Queen of Babble in the Big City, Meg Cabot (borrowed from my mother)
25. Bergdorf Blondes, Plum Sykes (borrowed from my mother)
26. Hadassa, Myriam Beaudoin
27. Life Skills, Katie Fforde
28. Storm World, Chris Mooney
29. The Hopeless Romantic's Handbook: A Novel, Gemma Townley
30. Kitchen Confidential, Anthony Bourdain
31. Break No Bones, Kathy Reichs
32. A Cook's Tour, Anthony Bourdain
33. The Nasty Bits, Anthony Bourdain
34. Ni d'Eve, ni d'Adam, Amelie Nothomb (borrowed from my mother)
35. Chagrin d'ecole, Daniel Pennac (borrowed from my mother)
36. Dedication, Emma McLaughlin (borrowed from my mother)
37. The Xmas Factor, Annie Sanders
38. Bright Lights, Big Ass, Jen Lancaster
39. Three Wishes, Liane Moriarty
40. The Club Dumas, Arturo Perez Reverte
41. Maneater, Gigi Levangie Grazier
42. Big Boned, Meg Cabot (borrowed from my mother)
43. Typhoid Mary, Anthony Bourdain

Not bad... that's almost a book a week!

A few thoughts:
- Of course, I re-read all the Harry Potter books before I read the seventh and final book!

- I discovered Anthony Bourdain when he appeared as a guest judge on Top Chef last summer. I loved his books! I grew up in a house where food was very important, so I can relate to that, but I knew nothing of the restaurant world... I gave my mother a copy of "Kitchen Confidential" for Christmas.

- I've been on a "chick lit" kick for the last couple of years. Some of them are well written, some are just entertaining. It's usually "feel good" reading, which I enjoy after spending the day reading and writing about serious and complicated stuff for my dissertation...

Now if I could only find a way to read and knit at the same time...

1 comment:

Nora said...

You could listen to audio books and read and knit at the same time :-)