Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Finally, a baby girl...

Ever since my goddaughter was born (she's now 3 1/2 years old), everyone I know has been having boys... Don't believe me? Off the top of my head, I count 4 little boys amongst my friends, three pregnant friends expecting boys, and my sweet little nephew whose now 6 months old. One friend actually had a girl recently, but since they decided not to find out the baby's gender during the pregnancy, I had to go with a gender-neutral pattern. You can understand how excited I was when I found out that I would finally have a chance to knit something girly...

I had been looking for an opportunity to knit Elizabeth Zimmerman's February Baby Sweater after seeing a few pretty ones in other people's blogs, especially this one over at Brooklyn Tweed. (This is the fourth or fifth project he has inspired, I guess we have similar tastes...) Not that there aren't many other pretty examples out there: mine was the 900th on Ravelry! Because of the lace pattern, it is pretty girly. Elizabeth Zimmerman's patterns are genius! This one is knit in the round from the yoke down, but doesn't involve fancy origami folding like the baby surprise jacket I knit for my nephew last summer.



I had some yarn leftover, so I decided to knit a pair of Saartje's bootees. They're the cutest thing... Probably very impractical, but absolutely darling little things.
Emily knit a couple of pairs as gifts last Fall.



Patterns: February Baby Sweater, by Elizabeth Zimmerman (from the Knitter's Almanac) and Saartje's Bootees, by Saartje de Bruijn.
Yarn: Dale Baby Ull, in red. Less than 2 skeins for the sweater AND the bootees. Purchased at the Fiber Gallery
Needles: US 4 (3.5mm) Addi Turbo circular needles for baby sweater, and US 1.5 (2.5mm) DPNs for bootees.
Time to knit: Sweater started on March 10 and finished on March 25, 2008; bootees started on March 30 and finished on April 1st, 2008. Buttons sewn on sweater and bootees on April 3, 2008
Buttons: Pink with little multicolored polka dots, purchased at Bad Woman Yarn




Who's the happy recipient of these lovely gifts? Pensive frog's upcoming baby tadpole...

1 comment:

Megan said...

I'm so glad I'm having a girl, because this little sweater and booties are just adorable! I have them nestled up in a place of honor in the nursery, waiting for this little tadpole to swim out and get all dressed up!