Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Hockey Night in Canada meets Shetland Triangle in Seattle

Did you recognize it? It's the yarn Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, aka the Yarn Harlot, sent me last Fall for correctly identifying the Hockey Night in Canada theme song.



What could I knit with this special yarn? Well, it's sock yarn but I'm not a sock knitter. Plus, I wanted to knit something that would last a long time and not end up with holes in the toes... I figured I should knit a scarf or a shawl. There are plenty of scarf and shawl patterns out there for fingering weight yarn. But if you're looking for a tested and true pattern that can be made with only 360 yards of sock yarn, your choice narrows down pretty quickly (thanks to the Ravelry pattern search engine). I opted for the Shetland Triangle, by Evelyn Clark (in Wrap Style). Knitted over 700 times, according to Ravelry... can't go wrong with that! Here are a few lovely examples... I think the slight color variegation will add to the texture of the lace.

Why now? Well, Stephanie is on tour with her new book. With a little bit of luck and a lot of knitting, it will be ready for her visit! I've already knitted 45 rows (out of a total of 114).

No comments: